Health and Wellness Mission
At New Harmony High School we believe that learning and health go hand in hand. Through health education, mental health support, screenings and nursing services, nutrition, and physical activity, we encourage lifelong healthy attitudes.
Learning and health have a direct correlation. Students are encouraged to develop healthy decision-making skills through the use of health education, physical activity, nutrition, mental health services, and nursing services.
Please keep your student home from school for any of the following reasons:
- Fever (must be fever free for 24 hours without medication before returning)
- Nausea and vomiting (must be vomit free for 24 hours before returning)
- Yellow or green discharge from the eyes
- Shortness of breath or wheezing
- Distracting pain from earache, headache, recent injury
- Contagious illnesses such as chicken pox, flu, strep throat, etc.
ALL MEDICATIONS administered by the school nurse or designated personnel at school, or at a school related function (such as overnight trips) REQUIRE that we have a SIGNED PHYSICIAN’S ORDER on file AND a REQUEST AND AUTHORIZATION TO ADMINISTER MEDICATION signed by the parent or guardian.
All medications must be delivered by the parent or guardian in the original packaging.
Students with an identified health issue (asthma, severe allergy, seizures, etc.) should follow-up with the nurse. Further documentation may be required.
For further clarification, please refer to the Medication Administration Policy.
New Harmony High stocks Epi-pens provided through the “Epi-pens 4 Schools” program for use in an anaphylactic emergency. Since most initial allergic reactions take place in the school setting, we maintain this stock for use on anyone with an unidentified, life-threatening allergy or for someone with an identified life-threatening allergy who does not have their own prescription. For more information please refer to our EpiPen Policy.
All students are required to provide proof of immunization status or provide a vaccine declination form signed by your physician.
Expectant and Parenting Students
Pursuant to R. S. 17:221.7, New Harmony has adopted the following policy regarding expectant and parenting students.
New Harmony will:
- Maintain student confidentiality.
- Ensure a safe and supportive learning environment.
- Promote academic success.
- Implement sensible attendance policies.